In this episode, we talk about sweater vests, the challenge of discussing challenging topics and building an entertainment empire with Timothy Lawson.
The Pre-Brief: Our guest today is Timothy Lawson is a veteran of the United States Marine Corps and the head of his own entertainment company. He manages multiple podcasts including Veteran Empire, Bromantic comedy and is tackling a new podcast, 1,2 Many that deals with the issue of veteran suicide. The 1,2 Many project reincorporates the human element of veteran suicide that has been lost in discussion about the numbers by sharing personal stories of veterans and the community around them as it relates to this important topic.
- Timothy’s path to service: Tim had graduated high school and heard the stories from his friend about life in the Marine Corps. He decided that he wanted to be a part. Though he started as an Aviation Maintenance Supply Specialist, he quickly transferred to his dream job as a Marine Security Guard, protecting embassies across the world.
- Business idea: After separation, Tim worked a myriad of jobs while attending school to include an interesting stint as a loss prevention specialist. He also started his first podcast as a side project with a friend. After a buddy from Marine Corps friend introduced a brand he had started, Veteran Empire, Tim came on board as a twitter manager, but quickly expanded that to include a podcast. Tim was hooked and decided podcasting was where we wanted to focus and registered Lawson Entertainment as a Limited Liability Company.
- First Steps: Tim changed his major from Psychology to Broadcast Journalism to expand his skillset and make him a better podcaster. He also started two more podcasts, which gave him the opportunity to get the repetitions and the systems in place to make him the successful broadcaster he is now.
- The Market:The podcasting market can be brutal, especially with many new podcasters coming in on a daily basis. Tim has developed his craft over the last few years to deliver a high energy and valuable show that can distinguish itself from the Market.
- Highlight: Timothy focuses on the themes of empathy, renewed purpose and mentorship in helping tackle the problem of veteran suicide.
- Quote: Greg Louganis on Peaking Early – “In sports, people reach their peak very early. You have to move on. I don’t know if I will ever surpass what I did at the Olympics, but I’m still doing the work I always wanted to do.”
- Answers for the BIG 5
- One thing to learn: Getting in front of people
- One action to take now: Take the time to really evaluate what you want to get out of school.
- Favorite book: Choose yourself by James Altucher
- Favorite Resource: Evernote
- One thing to enjoy outside of work: Gratitude, fill your life with the acknowledgement of the good things
Resources for this episode:
How to reach Timothy.
- Veteran Empire Podcast: http://www.veteranempire.com/
- Bromantic Podcast: http://thebromanticcomedy.com/
- 1,2 Many Podacast: http://one2manyproject.com/
THANKS FOR LISTENING!
Thanks again for listening to the show! If it has helped you in any way, please share it using the social media buttons you see on the page.
Additionally, reviews for the podcast on iTunes are extremely helpful and greatly appreciated! They do matter in the rankings of the show and I read each and every one of them.
And lastly, if you have any questions send me an email firstname.lastname@example.org and I would love to answer your question on the show.