In this episode we talk about the how the Navy has the good posts, the challenges of the permanent change of station and how community can make the whole process easier with Greg Call.
The Pre-Brief: Our guest today is Greg Call. Greg is a former marine intelligence officer who spent time in Afghanistan and Africa in support of Operation Enduring Freedom. Before joining the military, he spent some time in management and consulting. Currently, Greg is launching a new venture, Patriot Move, an online community and resource that creates stability for service members and their families before, during, and after their service.
- Greg’s path to service: Greg had a relatively easy job, but after coming home at night and watching what other men his age were doing in Iraq and Afghanistan, he felt an obligation to join the service. The inspiration for Greg’s service as a Marine was his brother who was serving as a Marine in the Special Ops community.
- The Transition: Greg had experience already working in the civilian community, so the transition was not as difficult. Due to the combination of his previous business experience and his time spent in the Marines, Greg decided that he wanted to keep living a mission driven life and decided to start a business.
- Business idea: Though Greg knew he wanted to start a business, he was not sure what business that would be, so he started by talking to successful veteran entrepreneurs. One of the pain points they identified was the lack of relocation support for service-members, especially when it came to housing.
- First Steps: Greg spent three months networking and writing his business plan while interacting with spouses and veterans identifying their needs before enrolling in the Entrepreneur Boot Camp for veterans. With a business plan, Greg worked with military spouses who serve as their local community champions and employed a developer to build the platform that would allow Patriot Move to be successful of Launch.
- Highlight: Greg believes that the government is great at moving boxes, but does a terrible job of moving people. The military community is inherently self-reliant and he believes that the community can fill the gaps in government support during relocation and that is what Patriot Move does.
- Quote: “Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.” –Stephen R. Covey
- Answers for the BIG 5
- Thing to learn: Time-management. Greg is starting Patriot Move while also working a part-time job.
- Action to take now: Do a ton of research on your industry and the people that can help you to become successful.
- Favorite book: The Lean Start-Up by Eric Reis
- Favorite Resource: Linked In, there is a large veteran community on Linked In. Check out Episode
- Something to enjoy outside of work: Working out and staying in the mindset that physical fitness
Resources for this episode:
- My interview on Fire and Adjust
- Facebook Group
- 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen R. Covy
How to reach Greg
THANKS FOR LISTENING!
Thanks again for listening to the show! If it has helped you in any way, please share it using the social media buttons you see on the page.
Additionally, reviews for the podcast on iTunes are extremely helpful and greatly appreciated! They do matter in the rankings of the show and I read each and every one of them.
And lastly, if you have any questions send me an email firstname.lastname@example.org and I would love to answer your question on the show.