In this episode we talk about the cool kids club, the challenges of moving your career every couple of years and infusing your brand with personality with Kaye Putnam.
The Pre-Brief: Kaye is the founder of successfulmilitarywife.com and kayeputnam.com. Kaye is an Army spouse, who has become an expert at writing resumes and applying for jobs, but never found something that gave her career traction. Through her websites, Kaye is a proponent for military spouses to build a portable career through business and Brandality where she helps businesses infuse their brands with personality to attract raving fans
- Connection to the Military: Kaye is married to a military officer and is currently stationed at Schofield Barracks in Hawaii.
- Experience of the Army Adventure: The constant moving was difficult for Kaye to maintain a career. She starting in banking, but after the first PCS, Kaye transitioned into traditional advertising and currently uses those skills to her current business.
- Business idea: Kaye got her idea for a business when she made her last PCS. She was PCSing from Fort Campbell and decided that trying to transition a career was not working, so she decided to go out on her own.
- First Steps: Built a basic website to begin connecting with other military spouses who were influential online. Second, she started in freelance work to demonstrate her skills to an employer.
- Highlight: A brand is what a person says about your business when you are not there. The biggest mistake that people make is that they try so hard to be professional that they lose their personality / identity.
- Quote: Bruce Lee on Personality: “Always be yourself, express yourself, have faith in yourself, do not go out and look for a successful personality and duplicate it”
Answers for the BIG 5
- One action to take now: Start! Figure out how you can become visible online and start connecting.
- One thing to learn: Learn how to market themselves in an effective way
- Favorite Resource: http://www.feedly.com
- Favorite book: The $100 dollar Startup: Reinvent the Way you Make a Living, Do What You Love, and Create a New Future by Chris Guillebeau
- One thing to enjoy outside of work: Working out
Resources for this episode:
How to reach Kaye.
THANKS FOR LISTENING!
Thanks again for listening to the show! If it has helped you in any way, please share it using the social media buttons you see on the page.
Additionally, reviews for the podcast on iTunes are extremely helpful and greatly appreciated! They do matter in the rankings of the show and I read each and every one of them.
And lastly, if you have any questions send me an email firstname.lastname@example.org and I would love to answer your question on the show.