- Amanda has a unique perspective as both a service member and a military spouse and what it was like having one foot in the service-member and dependent world.
- In Gear Career satisfied her need as a spouse and as a professional.
- The roots of InGear comes from the experience of Haley Uthlaut, a military veteran, who transitioned from active duty to a military spouse and saw the lack of a professional network that would enable professional spouses to transition from post to post without having to start over.
- Each chapter liaisons with businesses in their area to assist spouses moving into the area find jobs and network before they arrive.
- 26% of spouses who want to work are unemployed and there is a 42% disparity in wages between a military spouse and an equally educated civilian counterpart.
- Home Front Rising is a political initiative to encourage military spouses to not just contact their congressmen, but to be their congressmen.
Amanda’s advice for someone interested in entrepreneurship:
- Dream big! After moving from one small duty station to small duty station, spouses can feel helpless about their prospects. Just don’t give up, find resources, and build something that works for you and your family.
Other Resources for this episode:
- Home Front Rising: http://www.militaryspouse.com/articles/homefront-rising-a-day-in-review/?pageNum=2
- Wittenberg – Weiner Consulting http://www.ww-consult.com/
- Jung typology test to find your personality strengths – http://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/JTypes1.htm
How to reach the guest:
- Website: http://www.ingearcareer.org/
- Twitter: @InGearCareer
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/InGearCareer
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
THANKS FOR LISTENING!
Thanks again for listening to the show! If it has helped you in any way, please share it using the social media buttons you see on the page.
Additionally, reviews for the podcast on iTunes are extremely helpful and greatly appreciated! They do matter in the rankings of the show and I read each and every one of them.
And lastly, if you have any questions send me an email email@example.com and I would love to answer your question on the show.